The "Master Cleanse" or "Lemonade Diet" is a radical diet that restricts solid food and requires drinking only lemonade for 10 days in a row. It provides a powerful way to detoxify, lose weight, and achieve better health. Stanley Burroughs invented this diet in the 1940s, and subsequently published two books about it in the 70s, The Master Cleanser and Healing for the Age of Enlightenment.
In recent years, this diet has gained a lot of popularity due to endorsements by celebrities like Beyoncé and Naomi Campbell, who shared it with the world as one of their secrets to staying healthy, fit, and radiant.
How does it Work?
- The master cleanse diet capitalizes on the detoxifying power of lemons and cayenne pepper to cleanse accumulated toxins from the body.
- Lemons help the body to start and maintain a powerful detoxification process.
- Adequate hydration carries all the released toxins out quickly.
- Maple syrup provides the nutrition needed for maintaining a normal lifestyle during the cleansing process.
- Cayenne pepper accentuates the detoxifying effect of lemons.
- As each day passes, fat deposits melt away, shedding 1-2 lbs per day.
- This is a radical diet because solid food is restricted, so make sure you are ready before committing to it.
Starting the "Lemonade Diet" Phase 1 - Detoxification
Follow the following instructions for the first 10 days.
Every Morning - Do the Salt Water Colon Flush
- Add 2 teaspoons of sea salt to 1 liter of lukewarm water.
- Mix well and drink in the morning on an empty stomach.
- After drinking the salt water, be prepared for bowel movements to happen within the next hour.
This helps the body eliminate toxins faster. If for some reason it is not possible to do the salt-water flush in the morning, drink another laxative herbal tea in the morning instead.
Throughout the Day - Drink Lemonade
Mix the following ingredients together to make the lemonade.
- 1 cup of distilled or spring water.
- 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed organic lemon or lime juice. This is approximately the juice of ½ lemon or lime.
- 2 tablespoons of grade B maple syrup. This is the darkest color variety; it is less refined and has more nutrients.
- 1⁄10 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder
Drink additional water between lemonade glasses for more hydration if needed. Do not eat or drink anything else.
Every Night - Have a Laxative Tea
In the evening, just before going to bed, drink a laxative tea of your choice. This is as important as doing the morning colon flush.
The "Lemonade Diet" Phase 2 - Transition Back to Normal Food
After following phase 1 for ten days it's time to start the transition to eating regular healthy foods. Follow the daily steps described below. Food should be introduced slowly as the body needs to adjust to digesting solid food again.
Drink freshly squeezed organic orange juice. You can dilute it with water in the beginning if you feel it is too strong. The orange juice prepares the digestive system for optimum digestion and ensures a smooth transition from lemonade to regular food.
- Drink freshly squeezed organic orange juice for breakfast and lunch.
- Eat a vegetable soup for dinner. It's recommended to use one or more of the following: tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, parsley, and dill.
- Eat vegetable soups for breakfast and lunch.
- Prepare a raw vegetable salad for dinner.
- Resume eating normally, making sure to choose healthy foods.
- If you don't feel well after eating the first regular meals, continue having a mix of lemonade and orange juice for a few days until your digestive system is ready to eat solid food.
- Make a conscious effort to avoid unhealthy foods. It should be much easier to avoid them now because your body has been cleansed of a lot of toxins and you should have less or no cravings.
Benefits of The Master Cleanse
- Eliminates accumulated toxins in the body tissues.
- Purifies the cells.
- During the master cleanse, the body will start healing any existing inflammation in the tissues.
- The blood will be purified.
- The joints become more flexible because the detox process removes hardened toxic deposits.
- The digestive system is healed and regenerated.
- Helps to feel lighter, younger and more energetic.
- The skin will look and feel rejuvenated.
- Helps the memory and brain work better.
- Spring and fall are the best seasons to do the master cleanse.
- The master cleanse can be a starting point to reset and rebalance the body and lose the extra weight.
- Follow the master cleanse with a healthy diet and lifestyle to make its benefits permanent.
- You may stay on the Master Cleanse diet for as long as you feel good, even if it's more or less than 10 days.
- There are many resources online providing testimonials from people doing the cleanse right now.
- Do not follow this diet if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Always consult your health care practitioner before making any changes to your diet.
The Master Cleanse Benefits
1. Lose Weight with the Master Cleanse
You have a few extra pounds and want to get back to your optimal weight? Doing the Master Cleanse offers a healthy and effective way to achieve this personal goal. During the detox process, the body loses weight, usually 1 - 1.5 lb. each day. As a result, completing a full 10-day cleanse will result in a total loss of 10 - 15 lb. of mostly fat and toxins. For additional weight loss, the diet can be followed for more than 10 days.
How to Maintain the Ideal Weight after Completing the Cleanse
Once the cleanse is over it is normal to gain a few pounds, however most of them should stay off.
Here are the secrets of maintaining the ideal weight after completing the master cleanse.
- Eat a healthy diet, full of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds.
- Maintain an active lifestyle.
- Sleep 8 hours a day, ideally between 9pm to 5am.
By following the suggestions above, it is very likely you will be able to easily maintain your desired weight. In addition, the detox and cleansing effects of the master cleanse will result in improved health and energy levels.